About the Interchange
The I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, over two phases, will provide approximately 4 miles of interstate improvements from the Twin Bridges in Norfolk to the Witchduck Road interchange in Virginia Beach. The improvements will provide additional capacity, reduce daily congestion and improve safety and traffic operations in the corridor.
This project will be built in two phases. The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will manage construction through two separate construction contracts. Phase I is fully funded, with funding by the Hampton Roads Transportation Accountability Commission through the Hampton Roads Transportation Fund (HRTF), as well as from federal and state resources. Phase II has been funded for right of way and design and development through the HRTF and state and federal resources.
The improvements include:
- Widening of I-64 west between the Twin Bridges and the I-264 interchange (Phase I)
- Two new ramps from I-64 west to I-264 east (Phase I)
- A new system of collector-distributor (CD) roads on I-264 east (Phase I)
- Improved interchanges at Newtown and Witchduck roads (Phase II)
- A Greenwich Road flyover across I-264 that connects with Cleveland Street (Phase II)