The I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, over two phases, provided approximately 4 miles of interstate improvements from the Twin Bridges in Norfolk to the Witchduck Road interchange in Virginia Beach. The improvements are designed to provide additional capacity, reduce daily congestion and improve safety and traffic operations in the corridor.
This project was built in two phases. The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) managed construction through two separate construction contracts.
The improvements included:
- Widening of I-64 west between the Twin Bridges and the I-264 interchange (Phase I)
- Two new ramps from I-64 west to I-264 east (Phase I)
- A new system of collector-distributor (CD) roads on I-264 east (Phase I)
- Improved interchanges at Newtown and Witchduck roads (Phase II)
- A Greenwich Road flyover across I-264 that connects with Cleveland Street (Phase II)